The mission of Community Affairs is to form partnerships for engagement scholarship across teaching, research and service to generate, transmit, apply and preserve knowledge in collaboration with community partners for the mutual benefit of our partners and the University, and to provide intercultural leadership for the campus and community. Community Affairs has the additional responsibility of coordinating the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Realizing the Dream Concert and related activities and provides leadership, along with representatives from the partner schools, for the Consortium for Higher Education.
The vision of Community Affairs is to be a world leader in the scholarship of engagement and in the strengthening of intercultural relations through programs that transform lives.
We value and are committed to:
- Leveraging the intellectual, human and financial resources of the university to improve the quality of life in communities.
- Integrating learning, teaching, research and service through the scholarship of engagement.
- Producing reciprocal knowledge through research and best practices that develop innovative campus and community collaborations.
- Addressing changing campus and community demographics by implementing best-practice strategies that increase cultural competencies and inclusiveness.
- Creating space for and actively listening to diverse voices.
- Assessing the process of engagement through traditional qualitative and quantitative measures, benchmarking for academic excellence and impact on communities.
- Building collaborative relationships in which community partners are vital contributors to and share responsibility for decision making that produces mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Utilizing the technological, managerial and artistic resources of the academy to enhance regional, national and global economic and social systems.
- Creating and delivering curricular experiences to prepare students and community members to become civically engaged leaders.
- Developing tools that increase the effectiveness of faculty and enhance the development of students to address intellectually and respond strategically to large-scale problems of importance in communities.
- Ensuring an awareness of and access to university resources by community partners.
- Modeling a respectful and inclusive work environment that facilitates transformation through engaged scholarship, collaboration and partnership.